10,000 Carrots Rabbit Rescue
click here for updates for BUNFEST 2019
See our Current Adoptable Rabbits
Fill out an Application
The first Rabbit Rescue in the Maritimes
Please allow up to 48 hrs for us to respond to your application.  We are all volunteers and do the best we can to get back ASAP!

We are unable to accept owner surrenders at this time

Chester CopperPot

Please take the time to read the beginning of Chester Copper Pot’s story.
He is not the first rabbit that has been in such rough shape.

 Our friend Angie picked him up and took him home until we could get him the next morning where he immediately went to the Vet.

Here is his story from Angie’s point of view …

I had randomly decided to go for a swim at my favorite lake after a long day. It was a bit late in the evening but I needed to cool off.
​​After a quick dip, I hopped in the car and headed back towards home. There was a particularly long stretch of road that is wooded with no houses. I saw, up ahead, a bit of movement on the left side of the road. A strange color for a wild animal, but it honestly wasn't the color that made my heart stop, it was the movement. I knew that was a bunny, and it wasn't a wild hare.  I slowed down as I initally passed, and sure

enough, it was a little tan colored, lop-eared domestic bunny, looking completely confused and lost on the shoulder of the road. He did a few hops and sat up on his hind feet. I immediately turned around and
pulled over. I expected him to run away as I did so, but he only crossed the road and hopped into a shallow, grassy ditch. He didn't seem afraid as I walked up.  As I knelt down and spoke to him, he actually hopped right over to me and sniffed my hand. I quickly scooped him up because I was afraid if I hesitated and spooked him, I'd never catch him. I bundled him in my arms

and walked back to the car. I had nothing to put him in so I threw my towel on the passenger floor and set him down and drove off.  ​He wasn't afraid of me at all. 
About three minutes in, he flopped and relaxed with his back feet out. A few minutes more and he was lying flat on his side, which actually scared me for a moment, but after pulling over to make sure he was ok, he sat up again.
​I brought him home and we got a space prepared for him with some things to nibble. He ate a few bits of fruit and a few pellets but was more interested in hopping around the porch, and standing up on his hind feet to touch his nose to my nose.

He had several ticks on him, and some nicks and cuts on his ears, but the worst of it was that one of his eyelids was completely swollen, full of pus, and weeping. The actual eye was severely damaged and I don't even know how he managed to survive, likely for several days, like that.
This little bunny, half blind and completely alone on the side of the road, immediately trusted us and felt safe, and we loved him instantly. I was in the right place at the right time. How he ended up there, we'll never know, but he is safe now and in the best hands possible.

Update: October 2018

Chester is officially the "Ambassador-Bun" for 10,000 Carrots Rabbit Rescue.  He will stay with us and help us to educate people on the dangers domesticated rabbits face when abandoned outside.  He is well loved and sees himself as the "Uncle-Pot" to all the rabbits that come and go in the rescue.
He hops around and checks in on all the babies and the other buns love him.  He is certainly a calming presence.
Physically, he is doing well and gets along well with his slight head tilt and single eye.